ABOUT THE WEBELOS DEN (4th Grade)
All boys must earn the Bobcat Badge before they begin working on the Webelos rank.
Webelos is a 20 month program for 4th and 5th grade boys to prepare to join a Boy Scout troop while learning outdoor skills and participating in many adventures. A well-run group of Webelos is a gradual change from being an ‘adult-run’ den to being a ‘boy-run’ patrol ready to fit right into an adventurous scouting troop. This migration requires the parents and den leaders to give the Scouts more and more control, decision-making power, and responsibility as they progress in skills, abilities, and maturity.
The Webelos program has two major milestones – the Webelos badge to be earned toward the end of 4th grade and the Arrow of Light to be earned by February of 5th grade (when the boys cross over into Boy Scouts).
The Webelos badge is for fourth grade boys. After earning the Bobcat Badge, a boy must do the following to earn the Webelos rank badge:
- Be an active member of your Webelos den for three months. (Being active means having good attendance, paying your den dues, and working on den projects.)
- Complete each of the five Webelos required adventures with your den or family:
- Complete at least one Webelos elective adventure of your den or family’s choosing from this list: Adventures in Science; Aquanaut; Art Explosion; Aware and Care; Build It; Build My Own Hero; Castaway;Earth Rocks!; Engineer; Fix It; Game Design; Into the Wild; Into the Woods; Looking Back, Looking Forward; Maestro!; Moviemaking;Project Family; Sportsman
- With your parent, guardian, or other caring adult complete the exercises in the pamphlet How to Protect Your Children From Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide and earn the Cyber Chip award for your age.
There are also other awards that Webelos can earn either individually or with their den. These include:
- BSA Emergency Preparedness
- Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award
- Cub Scout World Conservation Award
- Shooting Sports
- Cub Scout Religious Emblems Program (based on your religious affiliation)
- Nova Awards
- Dr. Charles H. Townes Supernova Award
Den meetings along with parental participation will walk boys through the steps needed to accomplish these tasks. See the Cub Scout Webelos Handbook for the detailed requirements.